Friday, March 23, 2012

Kicked off the Island (What didn't make it in)

     Here are a few paintings details from what I've been working on in last quarters senior studio class. The class was designed to create an environment that allowed students to develop a personal studio practice before being thrown out into the real world. It was a nice reprieve from assignment based work but also difficult, because it makes you question what your art can be if it's not serving a commercial purpose. So I spent the quarter experimenting and thinking my way through what painting is, and the history of painting. Specifically the whole, no woman painters thing, the whole, line vs. color vs. representational vs abstract vs conceptual thing. 
     Anyway, I only put one piece into the Senior show. Everything I made was so jumbled. Interesting experience wise and to chart a thought, but inneffective when placed next to each other. Meh, so goes it haha. I learned a lot though about how to treat a space, and the realities of what can be done in such a short time. There's another show coming up for the IVA honors kids in about a month, so hopefully I can come up with something more cohesive.
second painting on wooden board
If you ever wondered what I really did when I'm "taking notes" during class"


detail of embroidery project



favorite part of a tiny overdone self portrait
Also Thanks Angela Jaquith for helping me take photos! All the paintings are super glossy and a nightmare to photograph 

No comments:

Post a Comment