Sunday, June 17, 2012

Hansel and Gretel E-Book

I illustrated an E-Book for the children's story app Farfaria. They're a pretty new start up so it will be interesting to see where they go with it. This was really the first proper illustration project I've worked on so it was good in that I came up against a lot of my weaknesses immediately. Learning to balance the practicality of time and energy with your own conceptual idea of what it should be is surprisingly rewarding. It broke the bit of me that was like "this has to be perfect" and instead it became "just give em' what you got!"
First version of the cover. Also the best version of the characters. Because I had to work on this between my classes I felt like I'd make leaps in ability between each illustration (I'm sure to the dismay of the folks reviewing) and so when it got to the cover the characters had evolved quite a bit from the first page.

My mom said that she liked his "haxen" (spelled Hachsen) which means both very large burly hands OR (I think) slabs of meat in German. Or at least when she says it I visualize very large meat hands.

The Story of Hansel and Gretel is kind of brutal and scary. On the one hand it's  a great story because you see a female lead that defy's her own learned nature to save those she loves BUT on the other hand it reinforces societal fears of aging women all while challenging children's trust in their elders. Did your brain just explode? Fairy tales are UNHINGED. It's unfortunate that now they get watered down through either removing the threatening elements, or over indulging the horror elements for adult film. These don't really act as a bridge from child hood to the serious issues of adulthood. I guess I like to straddle that inbetween in my work, just because it seems to reflect more accurately how people are pushed and pulled through the world. No matter how old we get, I don't think we should ever lose our sense of astonishment at the didactic range of human possibility. Cruel and loving all rolled up into one. We crazy.

Check the story out at Farfaria.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment