Sunday, May 13, 2012

Zinetopia


I devised a plan to make a zine so that I could explore this sketchy playful ink drawing thing I had gotten into. And so I showed my instructor all these half baked stream of conciousness drawings and was told that I was being lazy and that I shouldn't rely on my ability to make quaint charming imagery. Now, you can call me a lot of things, but lazy or un genuine is not one of them. Needless to say I'm now doing a linear comic/ story board  and all these drawings were kind of abandoned. 
Putting them together now, I can see that It was going somewhere really great.

Throughout the 4 years of attending art school, I'm repeatedly struck by the lack of patience teachers have or their flexibility when it comes to approaching their students different learning styles. There's no joy in the process and there's an overarching paranoia that makes some (I know, I know, NOT ALL) instructors jump in and try and save their students to just place them on a safe and recognizable path. I can see it in myself when I'm helping in the after school programs at SAGA, it's hard to see those put in your charge struggle. But dang, you just gotta grit your teeth sometimes and let them sweat and figure stuff out on their own. Especially in art where ones survival depends on finding a completely personalized visual language that bridges artist and viewer.

Yeah, So I like this.



1 comment:

  1. a personalized visual language,especially if deep, will create a gap between artist and public that can take decades to close. Art instructors in the role of viewer are somewhat(hopefully) more visually perceptive, but almost always will settle on the recognizable path.It's human nature to feel comfortable with what you know,and threatened by the unknown. Mercifully college art courses end after four years...it's great to figure stuff out for your self

    ReplyDelete