Sunday, May 13, 2012

Friends in Suits


I had the opportunity to work with Angela Jaquith, friend and classmate, on a stop motion collaboration. She does way more ambitious stuff than this, but I'm so glad that she approached me and was willing to scale back her creative potential to work with a numb-skull like me. She brought so much knowledge to the table, and floored me with her technical abilities as well as professional set up. Just the equipment and editing alone that goes into something like this was eye opening and I'm glad that my introduction to the world of film was so well chaperoned.

My contribution was just creation of the painting and harrassing a friend to come in for awhile and put up with us dressing him up and bossing him around. He by the way did an awsome job. Thanks Casey Hart!

Together Angela and I discussed and rationalized how to build out with each tiny movement, and it was fun to discover what strange things happen when you come together with someone else. On the one hand it doesn't fit exactly with what you would ever make, but then there's this kind of magic in knowing that whatever comes of the collaboration, you could never ever have concieved it by yourself. So in that sense,  building something that required a collision of practices makes it very precious.

Here are some detail shots to give a better idea of what was actually happening to the painting since in the final version some details were lost.
I didn't mean to, but the woman in the painting ended up looking like Angela!

Even though I think we were driven a lot more by the idea of our processes working together, there's a definite discussion of the cultural dilineation between fine art and craft, the male gaze and the gendering of materials.

MUTANT EYE BALLS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment