Sunday, February 26, 2012

An Apple a Day.

page 1

Sketchbooks have always been problematic for me because when I draw or paint, I don't like to view it as some less developed part of my oeuvre just because it was done on paper or wasn't agonized over. If I say something is "just for practice" my mind shuts off and goes on to better things. SO, to keep myself working I've assigned myself a daily page to fill until it looks satisfactory. Staying present while working is the goal, so each page acts as a reflection on the day it was made. Hopefully through this daily excercise I'll become better at speaking in a voice that is honest, and not just a regurgitation of skills taught over the past few years.

       Working through a problem feels better than just restarting. I enjoy the process of not knowing where something is going, and working with what happens. It's hard, especially if you're a perfectionist, but wonderful, because it's a moment you couldn't have had it you hadn't messed up in the first place.




No comments:

Post a Comment